Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Transfer of Power

Today's the first day under the Dad Administration. I originally was going to title this post "Regime Change," but clearly Little Ella never sought to overthrow the prior Mom Administration. Rather, this is like the governor who's term limit has expired and somebody new has to step in. Enter me, Ella's Dad.

So far, this morning has been both eventful and uneventful all at the same time. I felt like today was the first day of a new job: with my alarm set for 6:00 a.m., my eyes were wide open at 5:54 a.m. It was really tough watching Amber getting ready to leave for work, a task she had no desire to undertake. I can't imagine what that drive was like for her. She didn't utter any words when she walked out into the garage - only a forced half-smile. It was clear the thought: if I open my mouth to even say "good bye," the crying will start and I won't be able to stop it.

Tough as it was, the garage door shut and the new administration had begun. Like clockwork, Ella awoke around 7:30. Mom already had put her breakfast in her bottle, so all I had to do was change the diaper and get to feeding. Breakfast went off without a hitch; many solid burps rang forth. After downing the entire bottle, it was time for a little mirror magic to document the event in pictures. Here's the best of an admittedly motley bunch of photos. (Call me many things, but photogenic will never be one of them.)

The first breakfast behind us . . . Posted by Hello
After breakfast, the agenda called for 45 minutes or so of playtime on the floor with Ella's favorite toy, her Fisher Price 3-way piano thingy. Then it was off to the changing table to completely change Ella's clothes, as they were soaked with the morning's breakfast review. Gone, too, was the orange shirt Dad had on. It now lays on the floor, awaiting a date with the washing machine to remove Ella's contribution from the shoulder. I think I shall follow Michael Keaton's lead and be wearing more button-up shirts in the future. Such shirts are much easier to remove when laden with vomit than the over-the-head variety.

Ella's now asleep, as is her custom in the mornings. Time for Dad to now take a breath and get some things done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home